Background

Saturday, February 2, 2013

GROUNDHOG DAY


Last night, in discussing Groundhog Day and its origins and the movie Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray, it seemed quite natural for me to mention that when I was a kid, we ate groundhog and that if one liked dark meat, it was very dark meat. I could see the sickened-looks on the faces surrounding me, but I thought it might be comforting to mention, "A young groundhog is really good, but you don't want an old one, because they are tough."

One person asked, "You are making this up--just for the shock value--aren't you?" Gerald chimed in, "Oh, no, her mother actually prepared it one time." Another asked Gerald, with some incredulity, "You didn't eat it, did you?" Gerald said that of course he didn't eat it! I said, "More for Mother and me!" Another asked, "Is it kosher?"

See the article from THE STRAIGHT DOPE HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL I remember your mother said "marsh-rabbit" because that sounded better than muskrat! ML