Background

Thursday, May 10, 2018

PROPHETIC

As a young woman, I used to ride to work with an older co-worker and every day I would hear about her myriad of problems during the rides to and from work. She suspected that her boyfriend was two-timing her and one day day she said, "Let's go see Rosie after work." I asked who that was and she said, "The fortune teller."

As I say, I'm always up for an "adventure" but I gained more than I expected.

When we went to Rosie's she told me to wait in the kitchen while she performed her "reading" in the living room with my co-worker.  On the table in the kitchen was a chicken inside a cage. In my life, I had never seen such a filthy place. I was afraid to sit down and just stood, trying to eavesdrop on my friend's session.  At my turn, Rosie sat in a chair and assumed what appeared to be a trance.

At that time I had never even had a date in my life, but during my session Rosie told me that I would be very healthy, meet a wonderful man, be happily married, live in two different houses, and that I would have a good life although I would have no children of my own but would be very influential in a number of children's lives.

In the car, we compared stories and Rosie had told my co-worker that her boyfriend was indeed cheating on her. 

I laughed about the predictions, but two months later, I had a blind date with Gerald.

After Gerald and I were married, both he and I were working two jobs to save for the down payment on our house. I worked at Mead and Steele Data Processing and Gerald worked at International Harvester and at my cousin's gas station.

One evening, I was at the gas station waiting for Gerald to close up and he had lost the keys to the station.  We frantically searched everywhere we could think of and Paul, a friend of Gerald's from work, dropped by to visit. Paul said, "I'll call Rosie." I screaked, "The fortune teller!"  Gerald said, "I don't believe in that stuff." Paul went ahead and called Rosie. Rosie said that she could see the keys but they weren't inside the station but they weren't outside the station either. Gerald said, "That's crazy!" Rosie kept describing the location and she said that she could see bottles in boxes.

At that time there was a Coke machine outside the station and there were racks to hold the empty bottles.

Gerald went to look around the Coke machine and he found the keys; the keys were lodged in a metal protrusion on the foundation on the front window of the station, behind the boxes of empty bottles. Gerald had obviously dropped the keys there when he was filling the Coke machine.

They weren't INSIDE the station and they weren't OUTSIDE the station!


Although Rosie was impressive, I never visited her again, although my co-worker did.  The information she received from Rosie propelled her to confront the situation with the cheating boyfriend.

That was 1968--50 years ago--and recently I met my co-worker and I mentioned Rosie.  The co-worker said, "I shoulda listened to Rosie;  instead I married the S.O.B!"

No comments: