Background

Sunday, September 7, 2014

BUCKWHEAT

I've written before about my friend who invariably begins a conversation with this question, "What have you learned new today?", because I once said that I learned something new every day.

Because a friend of ours follows a gluten-free diet, I try to accommodate that when he's a dinner guest. As I was researching gluten-free options, I learned today that BUCKWHEAT is not related to WHEAT, as it is not a grass. KASHA, I now learn is made from roasted buckwheat groats!

The origin of buckwheat is believed to come from China or central Asia. It is a fruit seed and it is related to rhubarb, sorrel, and knotwood, thus it is a suitable substitute for people with Celiac disease and other problems associated with sensitivity to grains which contain gluten. Buckwheat is very nutritious. Whole buckwheat can be used as a substitute for rice and can be cooked as cereal. Buckwheat flour can be used in making cakes, bread, and PANCAKES..

Mother used to make buckwheat pancakes. After reading about buckwheat, I was waxing reminiscent about those pancakes. Les and I decided to make some because we both remembered them with fondness.

Now I have a nearly-full box of Aunt Jemima's Buckwheat Pancake Mix to give to someone! Any takers? Obviously the pancakes weren't as good as we remembered!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to try them BUT since it took 2 weeks for you to think of something you don't like to eat, they must be pretty bad. ML