Background

Thursday, November 3, 2016

I WOULD HAVE HELPED YOU ANYWAY

I had been canvassing door-to-door for the campaign for several hours and I needed to pick up some items for the Headquarters for the following day.  As I was loading groceries into the trunk of my car, I noticed a young couple standing outside a car with the hood raised.  I also noticed another couple in the back seat of the car with a baby in a car seat.

It had turned rather chilly in the evening and I was concerned about the baby in the back seat.  I asked, "Do you need help?"  The man answered that his car needed a jump and he was holding jumper cables in his hands. I said, "Let me turn my car around and I can help you."

The couple began thanking me profusely.   I asked the woman, "How long have you been waiting?  Do you want to get the baby in my car where it's warm?"  She said, "About half an hour;  thank you so much but I think we'll be OK if we can get the car started."  I said, "If we can't get the car started, I can take you home or we can call Triple A."

They told me how they had asked a "bunch of people" to help but nobody would.   We were commiserating about the lack of human kindness and I said that I believed in "Pay It Forward" as I had been helped a number of times in my life.

However, I didn't want to miss an opportunity to quiz potential voters.  I asked, "Are you going to vote this year?";  they said they were.  I asked if they would share with me their selection.  The man said that I probably wouldn't want to hear his choice, but it was Gary Johnson.

I answered, "Being a Democrat, I would have helped you anyway, even if I'd known that beforehand!"

No comments: