Background

Friday, January 19, 2018

BACK IN THE DAY

During a recent gathering, several people wondered why our meeting had not been cancelled as there were school closings that day.  A contemporary of mine began reflecting on the way it was "back in the day", when we went to school, when we were "never shut down".

After listening to the criticism, I said, "There was no nobility in the risks that were taken for us to go to school."  My contemporary was shocked, obviously assuming that I would have been in agreement.  I said, "You'll never hear me waxing rhapsodic about the good old days because they were the bad old days to me!"

My contemporary harrumphed, "Waxing rhapsodic, huh?  You seemed to have learned a lot back then!"

I continued about how, as a girl, we had to wear dresses, and asked, "Who the Hell, had woolen clothing?  I sure didn't!"  We were allowed to wear pants underneath our dresses;  cotton dresses and Blue Bell jeans underneath. I can recall wearing a coat all day, even during lunch, and trying to write while wearing gloves.

The contemporary posited, "At least we didn't have to go to school after Memorial Day."  I answered, "They have air conditioning in the new schools."

I always wanted sweaters for Christmas presents.  Gerald laughed and asked, "Is that why I always get a sweater for Christmas?"  

Later, in relating the conversation to my brother Les, he began singing Dolly Parton's In The Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad).  



No comments: