Background

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

CONSTANT QUOTERS

Several years ago, in a group conversation, I made a reference to "Pip" to describe someone.  A person whom I had never met, came over, placed her hand on my shoulder and said, "I know that you probably have GREAT EXPECTATIONS that people will understand your reference; you can probably tell that most do not." I answered, "Perhaps we should be friends!" Although we have never seen each other since that evening, she branded us "The Constant Quoters" and we became GREAT e-mail and Facebook friends.

In a group of new employees, I asked each to identify himself. One man said that his name was "Val";  it wasn't until I handed him his paycheck that I saw his first name was JEAN and his middle name was VALJEAN.   I exclaimed, "JEAN VALJEAN, you had to be named for Victor Hugo's Jean Valjean!" He said, "Yes, but please call me Val;  at least you pronounce it correctly."  He explained that his mother was French and a fan of Victor Hugo, but he also told me that he appreciated my knowing about Hugo. 

The other Constant Quoter sent an advertisement to me showing "FREE 24601" on the front.  It's now on my "must have" list although I seldom wear tee-shirts.  

I told Gerald he should play 24601 as a lottery number.  My brother quipped, "That didn't work out too well for ole Jean Valjean, did it?"

No comments: