Background

Thursday, July 5, 2018

VEER

A young friend said that the word "veer" is used only by old people!

I used the term "Charley Horse" yesterday and my friend  thinks it is a phrase used only by oldsters. We took "oleo" out of our vocabulary several years ago because we learned it made us sound old.

Today I used the term "davenport" and my friend said she hadn't heard that term since her grandparents used to say it. I told her that the piece of furniture we were discussing was indeed a davenport and she said that it was a "couch"; I could tell she was bored when I explained the differences between sofas, couches, and davenports, but when I said "chesterfield", she held up her hand and said, "TMI"!

How can there ever be too much information? Martha Stewart would understand.

WORDS ONLY OLD PEOPLE USE:

DAVENPORT
VEER
CHARLEY HORSE
OLEO
REC ROOM
RUMPUS ROOM
FOUNDER
RECKON (as in "I RECKON")
PIKE (instead of ROUTE)

No comments: