Background

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

COUNTRY CLASSIC


Recently, on our "date night", at the restaurant,  "Jambalaya" was listed as the soup of the day. When I ordered a bowl, I asked the waitress, "Do you have crawfish pie?" I saw that she was dumbfounded, so, of course I started singing, "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, and fillet gumbo." Seeing that she also did not get the reference, I said, "Hank Williams, it's a very famous song." She said she didn't know Hank Williams. (I am glad that I thought better of mentioning Junior and the Third!) I said, "You're too young." She answered, "I'm 41." I said, "Oh, you're just a baby." A woman, sitting at an adjacent table, waiting to have her food delivered, said, "I'm 53 and I don't know it, either."  I had gauged this woman as being older. She had dreads longer than Bob Marley and Lenny Kravitz and she was wearing a long skirt and top that looked reminiscent of hippie clothes from the sixties.  Her companion didn't know the country classic either.

So, there I was, a person who doesn't even like country and western music, singing Jambalaya, in public, to five people who don't get it.

When I related the story tomy brother Les, he said, "It doesn't do any good to make cultural references when your audience isn't going to get them!"

No comments: