Background

Monday, October 8, 2018

LIGETI



Recently, in conversation with a couple of friends, we were discussing how influential movies have been in our lives. As we were discussing The Best Years Of Our Lives, one friend said, "I have cold chills just thinking about it!" and showed the goose bumps on her arm.  

I read once that before the advent of movies, people kissed with their eyes OPEN. When the kissing scene was on the screen the actors had their eyes open and the audience, in the silent-movie theater, were tittering. When the actors began CLOSING their eyes, the audiences did not laugh.

People usually read books prior to seeing movies based on the books.  Several times I have been so impressed with a movie that I have read the original source material.  I had never read a Stephen King book before I saw The Shawshank Redemption; I haven't read one since.  I read James Dickey's book Deliverance ONLY after seeing the movie. I read Harold Robbins roman a clef called A Stone For Danny Fisher after learning that Elvis' movie King Creole  was based on that book; about the only thing similar in the movie was the name Danny Fisher.

On our first date, Gerald said that he liked the music from Also Sprach Zarathustra.  I said, "I detest that anti-Semite Wagner!" He countered with, "How about Ligeti?" How could I not fall in love with someone who actually knew Lux Aeterna? He admitted he was under the spell of  2001: A Space Odyssey and its classical music.


No comments: