Background

Thursday, January 13, 2011

GOOD MORNING SADNESS

I recently watched the critically acclaimed film "An Education" because I am a fan of Peter Sarsgaard and I like to see everything nominated for the Academy Awards before the awards. I was impressed with Carey Mulligan's performance and she definitely deserves a nomination.

In the film, Mulligan's character loves the recordings of Juliette Greco. That made me recall about a friend of mine who was a fan of the author Francoise Sagan so we JUST had to see the movie "Bonjour Tristesse" when it was released. We loved the singing of Juliette Greco in the movie and my friend purchased the record.

I called my friend to tell her about the movie and I asked if she still had the Juliette Greco record. She said that it was lost in one of her many moves. She and I fondly reminisced about our own schoolgirl passions and intellectual pretensions. She laughed and said, "How could I have been so silly to think that Sagan was a great writer?" I said, "Hell, we were fourteen--what do you expect--I was just as bad--I thought Taylor Caldwell was good!" She said, "I think that's when you got all-Francophile on me, wasn't it?" I answered, "Yes, I had to find out what "Bonjour Tristesse" meant!" She asked, "I forget--what does it mean?" I answered, in my best whispery Juliette Greco imitation, "Good morning, sadness!" We both screeched with laughter.


1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Well, never heard of Francoise Sagan OR Juliette Greco. But now I have ordered the "Bonjour Tristesse" movie because I had heard of Jean Seberg and I also ordered "An Education". Thank goodness for Netflix!