Background

Saturday, January 29, 2011

MRS. CHAPMAN


Mrs. Chapman, my second-grade teacher, was my all-time favorite teacher. I now realize that I was her "pet", but at the time I assumed that all teachers must be like Mrs. McDonald and Mrs. Chapman! One day, in class, Mrs. Chapman gave us an assignment to make smaller words using the letters from a larger word. When I submitted mine, she said, "Phyllis, "yar" isn't a word!" I said, "Oh, yes it is, I saw it in another book!" She issued the challenge, "You need to show that to me!" I brought in the book the next day to prove my point (after all, I HAD to have a 100 on that exercise!). In response, Mrs. Chapman took me around to all the other classrooms and told the story, explained what I had done and said she was so proud of me! Of course, I didn't comprehend how important that incident would be in my life. Years later, watching "The Philadelphia Story", I erupted with glee and memories when Katherine Hepburn's character used the word "yar"!

For years after my being in her class, Mrs. Chapman would bring me books to read during the summer because she knew that I could not get to the library. Today, I truly appreciate how kind, compassionate and understanding that she was because at that time I did not realize that I was a "poor" kid and that was probably the impetus for her to be so kind to me. I did not realize I was a "poor kid" until I was in the 4th grade.

Flash forward to the year 2009. I was invited to a baby shower for my husband's great-nephew's wife. I was introduced to the "favorite teacher" of the great-niece and she and I chatted amiably about work and other topics. Silly games are played at showers, but being so competitive, I expect to win them all, and of course the prizes go to the honored guest. At this shower, for one of the games, we were supposed to make words from the baby's name "Troy Michael Skinner". We were given a 10-minute time limit. After the time limit, the hostess asked, "Does anyone have 25?" Nearly all hands were raised. She continued with "50, 60, 70 and then 75". Only two hands were raised: mine and the favorite teacher's. The hostess asked, "80?" and I was the only one who raised a hand and the hostess asked, "How many?" and I answered, "122." The teacher, very angrily said, "That's IMPOSSIBLE!" I was shocked, offended and angered by her outburst and stood up and said, "I'll read ALL of them!"; when I arrived at the word "YAR" the teacher said, emphatically, "That's not EVEN a word." I laughed [which, of course, I knew would only exacerbate her anger--hey, I grew up arguing with a father and brothers--so I did learn a few things about a well-placed dismissive laugh!]. I said, "Hell, I've known that word since the second grade!" She had the unmitigated gall to say she didn't believe me.

You can imagine the embarrassment level felt by the rest of the party. I continued, "So how much money did your husband let you bring with you today?" She was shocked and asked, "WHAT does that mean?" I answered, "That means that I want you to put your money where your mouth is--I want to bet you THAT amount of money that I am right!" She turned away and I said, "Oh, no you don't get off that easy!' I said, "I have $100 with me, but if you have more, I'm good for it, aren't I, Gayla?" (Gerald's niece, Gayla was the very mortified hostess!) I asked Gayla to bring out a dictionary or a computer. Two people told me that I was acting inappropriately and that it wasn't important. I said, "Oh, but it IS important!" Gayla brought out a dictionary and as I showed the word "yar" I said, "Oh, and by the way, I also have "YARE" on my list and it's also a perfectly good Anglo-Saxon word!"

Yes, I recognize that I am petty but I thought, "Imagine what kind of teacher she is!" Gayla told me later that the teacher said, "Well, I was just surprised; after all, she JUST works in a factory!" After hearing that, I was glad I upbraided her.

Thank you, once again, Mary Kay Chapman, for encouraging me to be a spunky person!

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

"YAR" and "YARE": of course I had to look them up and they mean the same damned thing. You are incorrigible!