Background

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

YOU CAN CALL ME RAY

Poor Gerald. His first and last names are constantly mangled.

He answered the phone today and someone pronounced Raypole as "RAPE-OLD".

One time he placed a phone order and did not spell out his name. The package arrived addressed to "Raple".

I have spelled Raypole many times and it has returned written as "Raypoll".

We've had Payroll and Rayhole.

I ordered a Christmas ornament to be inscribed "The Raypoles"; it has "The Payroles" on it; I have the copy of the order and I printed the "R" and the "P" legibly in block letters.

I've answered the phone several times with a people asking, "Is this Mrs. Pole?" Gerald has answered and has been asked, "Is this Ray?"

And then there's Gerald. I did another article about learning to pronounce Gerald's name the way it is in southern Ohio. "Gare-uld" and NOT "Jare-uld".

I won't mention the name of the relative who constantly spelled it "Gerlad" on Christmas cards. Other spellings:

Gearald
Gerold
Gereld
Gearlad
Jerald
Jerrold

When the video, "You Can Call Me Ray" came out, Gerald was constantly serenaded by family, friends and co-workers.


1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

But you don't have to call him Johnson!