Background

Saturday, June 18, 2016

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU BANANAS......

I have been volunteering at BREAD OF LIFE, a local organization which provides a free meal and food pantry items to needy local residents.

Last week there was a full box of over-ripe bananas left over from the offerings. The bananas were going to be thrown in the garbage.  I said, "I'll take them home and make banana bread for next week's dessert."

When I came home with the bananas my brother sighed and quipped, "Oh, is this like 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade'?"  I answered, "When life gives you bananas, make banana bread for the multitude!"

I dehydrated the bananas.  The house had a banana aroma for three days.

I looked on the internet and found a recipe for BANANA CHIPS MUFFINS.  I made SIXTY muffins.

             BANANA CHIPS MUFFINS

Dehydrate bananas.

Grease muffin tins or use muffin papers (which I also spray with PAM)


3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 pound butter, softened
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup banana chips

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Cream together brown sugar and butter; add eggs, milk, and vanilla.  Add flour mixture and blend.  Add mashed bananas and blend.  Add walnuts and banana chips and blend.

Scoop into muffin tins.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

This recipe was for 18 large muffins;  I tripled the recipe and made 60 medium-sized muffins.

My brother said, "Wow!  Look how much time you spent and how much money you spent by SAVING those bananas!"

Well, at least I felt good about myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are mine? ML