Background

Monday, April 30, 2018

TRADING STAMPS


During my recent attempt at downsizing,  I found three yellow TOP VALUE STAMPS. 

These were similar to S and H Green Stamps, but TV Stamps were issued by Kroger. I was an avid collector of the different stamps issued by stores. Several friends and I would trade stamps but the TOP VALUE Stamps were always my favorites. I would give 2 S and H Green Stamps for 1 TOP VALUE Stamp.

I wonder why "trading stamps" were discontinued; obviously they were not profitable. They were a "big deal": there were even "redemption centers"; Gerald and I went to Columbus to "redeem" TV Stamps for our first bathroom set which included matching hamper, shower curtain, waste basket, rug, and commode cover. All of the "prizes" were top-notch brand names.

When I was a child, I remember that my mother collected Wilson Milk labels and she was able to acquire some nice items. I was very disappointed when the Betty Crocker catalog was discontinued several years ago because I had acquired many nice things from there including Oneida flatware and Beleek objects.

At my wedding shower one of my most prized presents was a completed book of TOP VALUE STAMPS.

No comments: