Background

Monday, April 16, 2018

PURSE PURSUIT



In 1968, my purse was stolen from my locker at work. At that time, in my purse I had my license, SS card, one credit card, and $42.00.  Fortunately, the theft happened on Saturday and the store with the credit card wasn't open on Sunday (remember the Blue Laws?).  It was time-consuming to replace the SS card and license. Amazingly, weeks later, the purse reappeared in my locker--with everything intact--minus the $42.00.

Since that time, I have been very careful. I never carry my purse into stores or restaurants; I always pay with debit or credit cards in stores and restaurants. I carry the cards in what my husband calls "the safe" (my bra); I only carry a purse to weddings, funerals, etc., where I need something to hold my keys and personal items.  It is ironic that I rarely carry a purse, because I adore purses and being a "matchy-matchy" kind of gal, I want my purse and shoes to match.

If one is going to carry credit cards, etc. in a purse, here are some guidelines:

Always have credit cards, driver's license, and medical cards in separate holders. If using a wallet, never have a wallet/checkbook combination, as thieves usually go for the wallet if they are in a hurry. My niece carries her credit cards in a compact, as she thinks thieves won't go for makeup. Keep a list of your credit card numbers and 800 numbers to call, driver's license and medical card copies AT HOME in a safe place. NEVER carry your Social Security card or birth certificate in your purse. Do not hang your purse on the back of a chair in a restaurant; always keep it between your feet on the floor.

Recently, I was at Kroger and a woman ahead of me had her open purse in the cart. She left the cart and went around in front of the cart and then bent over to pick up something from a bottom shelf; when she arose, I told her that she shouldn't leave her purse unattended. She told me it wasn't any of my business and walked off in a huff.

Sometimes "a word to the wise is sufficient" doesn't apply.

No comments: