Background

Friday, December 1, 2017

CICERO IS STILL RELEVANT!


A Facebook friend posted the quote from Cicero today and I thought, "Oh, Cicero is still relevant."

There were only four students in the Latin III class and we had to choose which Latin poet to translate for the year.  Usually, students taking advanced Latin expected to pursue careers in the law, pharmacy, or linguistics.  I wonder what my motive was, other than having another credit.   I recall that I thought it highly amusing--and rebellious--if I were to choose Ovid, the ultimate purveyor of amorous intrigue, to translate. That choice was emphatically vetoed by Mrs. Craig.    Instead, I was stuck with the choices of Virgil or Cicero.  In retrospect, I am glad Mrs. Craig refused to allow my study of Ovid and consequently, I have had a lifelong love of Cicero.

MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO is considered by most historians to be Rome's greatest politician.  Cicero was a Consul, philosopher, lawyer, politician, political theorist, orator, and constitutionalist.  As John Adams wrote:  "All ages have not produced a greater statesman and philosopher combined."  Although he was a political manipulator, Cicero was still an idealist and true patriot.  

When Mrs. Craig died, I used a Latin quote on the sympathy card accompanying the flowers I sent.  Mrs. Craig's daughter told me how much she appreciated it and she was sure that her mother would have enjoyed my remembering my Latin.

From Cicero:  "Brevis a natura nobis vita data est;  at memoria bene redditae vitae est sempterna." ("The life given to use by nature is short;  but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal.")








No comments: