Background

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

OVER THE MOON

Viewing the Super Moon on Sunday, I was reminded about an elderly person who used the term "over the moon" and I commented that I had never heard it used previously.  He had spent time in England during World War II and in researching about the phrase I learned that it is chiefly of British origin and has been in usage for more than a hundred years.  I told him that he'd probably learned it in England.

The phrase has gained in popular usage in the past thirty years because it's been adopted by British football managers to describe their feelings after winning games.

Of course, I have heard it used numerous times to describe something that makes one extremely happy.  I called a friend and said that I was "over the moon" about the Super Moon and enjoyed a conversation about the phrase.

My friend said that she had heard Prince Harry say that his mother would have been "over the moon" about his engagement. 

No comments: