Background

Friday, June 22, 2018

CROTCHETY


My brother Les says I am getting "crotchety" with my whining and peevishness; thus, CROTCHETY will be the vehicle for my crankiness.

For example, I am querulous when other people are "on top" of me at a checkout. I don't want them to see my entering my PIN , writing a check, or using a credit card. I seldom use an ATM, but when I do, I don't want anyone close to me.

I respect the spaces of other people; why can't they respect mine?

In stores, when I am finished loading my items on the conveyor belt, I deliberately leave the cart behind me instead of pulling it forward. I do leave enough room for people to put some of their groceries on the conveyor, but I don't want them in my space.

It offends me when I see able-bodied people who continue sitting down when elderly or disabled people, or pregnant women, are waiting in line.

Recently we were at an Olive Garden and there was a large number of people waiting to be seated. I was fortunate to have a seat while waiting. A very-pregnant woman came in and her husband went to register and receive one of the pagers. Among the people sitting and waiting were several young people. I said to one young male who was sitting beside me, "Get up and let her sit down." He didn't budge, so I rose and gave her my seat. She said, "No, that's OK, I'm OK." I said, "No, it isn't OK!" I went and stood next to Gerald. An elderly couple came in and the man was using a cane. I stood in front of the same young male I had spoken to earlier, and I asked, in a low voice, "Excuse me, but do you see that man with a cane who is old enough to be your grandfather?" He nodded, and I said, "Younger people such as you and I should offer one's seat to an older or disabled or pregnant person." [I thought that including myself as "younger" was rather amusing, yet effective.] He got up as did the young woman with him. I went to the elderly couple and said, "There's a place for you!"

I realize that the people must have had "no raisins", but what happened to common decency?

No comments: