Background

Friday, June 1, 2018

SHOPPING WHILE BLACK, PART ll

I published the following in Sue's News in 2016:

In stores, I oftentimes see store personnel who stop people to check their receipts. I have never been stopped, but I always hold my receipt in my hand with my car keys. I always assumed people were stopped if there were un-bagged items in the cart. Tonight, I was behind a couple in the check-out line, who are African American, and I saw the man bagging all of their items before leaving the clerk's station and the woman paid cash for the items. 

I had one item to purchase and as I followed behind the couple, they were stopped to show their receipt. I had my receipt ready and the store employee waved and said, "You're all right." I said, "I know that I am all right, but what was wrong with those folks ahead of me?" She said, "They had something that wasn't in a bag." I said, "That's NOT true; I was behind them in line and he bagged everything." excuse for the behavior

I asked her about the Company policy and as I was unsatisfied with the response, I asked to speak to the Store Manager and was informed that he was not available. An assistant came to speak to me and gave me a mealy-mouthed excuse. 

Tomorrow I will call the District Manager to inquire about the Company policy.

No comments: