Background

Monday, August 6, 2018

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS

I told my friend Mona Lisa that I was thrilled because she and a number of friends from years past came to my birthday party this year.    Mona Lisa said:  "Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them, but you know they are always there."

One friend, Anne, surprised me the most.  Although she and I were "Christmas-card exchangers" throughout the years, we had not actually seen each other since 1982.  I recalled that she was a petite ball-of-fire worker with jet-black hair and striking, exotic looks.  Of course both of us have changed over the years and she has some gray in that hair but still has
that Nefertiti profile that I told her she had.  She said, "Oh, Sue, I am Ashkenazi, not Egyptian!"  She told me not to publish a "hideous" picture of her, thus there's a picture of the Queen.


 As the child of Russian immigrants who escaped religious persecution and settled in Columbus, Ohio, to me she personifies immigrants.

No comments: