Background

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

RAPPROCHEMENT

I was the hostess at a recent political gathering.  Two of my friends who are young, have both lectured me about my lack of "forgiveness", were gleefully watching as I greeted a person with whom I've had a fractured friendship and had not spoken to in two years.

 As I was aware that they were sitting, watching my "performance", I soon turned to them and both gave me "thumbs up" and commented "good show";  they know how to put me in my place.  I said, "It was rapprochement, there is no word in English to describe it."  As neither of them, knew the word, there was the opportunity for edification and delectation by me to those whippersnappers!

I said, "For the good of the party."

  • (especially in international affairs) an establishment or resumption of harmonious relations.
    ‘there were signs of a growing rapprochement between the two countries’

Origin

French, from rapprocher, from re- (expressing intensive force) + approcher ‘to approach’.

Pronunciation

rapprochement

/raˈprɒʃmɒ̃/

No comments: