Background

Sunday, October 16, 2011

THAT DAMN JILL

When my sister-in-law Sheila was going to college my mother and I took care of my nephew Joshua while Sheila commuted to Dayton for classes. The routine was that my brother would drop off Joshua in the morning and he would come to eat lunch with us and then he would pick up Joshua after work. At that time I worked second shift and I would leave home around 3:00 PM but on the days I would be called in early for overtime I would leave at noon.

I was surprised when Sheila called me at work one evening. Nearly every day that week I had been called in for overtime. She knew that I spent a great deal of time with Joshua reading and with other creative diversions. She asked if I could keep Joshua away from the soap operas my mother loved to watch. She told me that she had asked Joshua how his day had been and he said that he and Grandma were "Mad at that damn Jill!" At first, Sheila said she thought that "Jill" was a real person until more questioning revealed that Jill was a character on Mother's favorite soap opera "The Young And The Restless".

Mother was, of course, shocked! She said, "Little pitchers have big ears!" No more soaps for Joshua!

1 comment:

Arminta said...

Hahaha. I remember the very first episode of The Young and the Restless. I watched it for years. My mother, who always worked very hard around the house during the day would have the TV.tuned into the "stories" playing in the background. My dad would come in for lunch and just carry on about how stupid it was to be interested in such things. After he retired he started watching the Young and the Restless and got caught up in it himself. One weekday I asked them to go somewhere with me and he looked all worried and asked "will we be back in time for my program?"