Background

Friday, August 3, 2012

"HELLO, GORGEOUS!"


Waiting at the rope line for FOUR hours--I still can't believe I was on my feet that long--to see and hear Michelle Obama. We were situated directly in front of the speaker's platform. Mrs. Obama gave a rousing speech, including references to education, health care, women's reproductive rights, but mostly about VALUES we share!


Mrs. Obama was wearing an aqua colored, sleeveless, knit top; floral, knee-length skirt and patent leather, turquoise, 2-inch pumps, sans hose. She is more slender than she looks on television, with small bosom, trim midriff and backside, famously muscled upper arms; slender calves, but with a nice booty (according to Gerald!).

During the four-hour wait, I became "new best friends" with Theresa, a young science teacher. She is pregnant, but barely showing. I was giving her "rope-line tips"; e.g.: NEVER yield your place in line, even to kids, although mothers will try to make us feel guilty for not allowing their brats to have our places. I said to ALWAYS bring a book or picture to have autographed, just in case one is close enough, as there is usually an aide who comes by to collect items for autographing. I told her that if Mrs. Obama came over to us and offered to shake hands, for her to do what I call "the Bill Clinton double-handed clasp", because that would give Gerald that extra moment to photograph her WITH Mrs. Obama.

Mrs. Obama did come our way on the rope line and as she took Theresa's hand she said, "Hello, Gorgeous, I kept looking at you over here!" Then Mrs. Obama hugged her! Then it was my turn. I said, "And there I thought it was I you were looking at!" She noticed my button showing me with her husband and asked when the picture was taken. Then she hugged me. I automatically put my arm around her and just as automatically felt the hand of a Secret Service Agent removing my hand!

A woman kept intruding, trying to force a child into our place. I stood four-square in place, feet planted firmly and with my hand tightly locked around the bar. Another woman kept flipping a handbag over my head asking to have it autographed. The bag had a cute, cartoonish caricature of Mrs. Obama on it. An aide said, "She doesn't autograph merchandise." The woman responded, angrily, gesturing toward me, "Well, why not--you took her picture to be autographed." The aide responded, "That was sent to her by the President!"

Although I hate to have my picture taken, I relent when it's my President's wife!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Sue go! I can't wait to see this picture.Lori