Background

Friday, September 25, 2015

"MEETING" ANDRE GIDE



Whenever I read quotes shared by other Facebook friends, I am always hopeful that those quotes inspire further interest in the works of the authors.

As a teenager, I "met" Andre Gide--through reading--because of my interest in Oscar Wilde whom Gide befriended during Wilde's travails. Gide was also very influential with Sartre and Camus and Gide was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

My great-niece posted a quote by W. Somerset Maugham and I commented that Maugham was a very popular writer of his generation but I doubt that many people know of him nowadays. I also admitted that I had read "The Razor's Edge" and "Of Human Bondage" only AFTER seeing the movies, which is the opposite of the way it's supposed to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for my continuing "liberal education"! ML