Background

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME

The French always have a perfect quote: "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose." THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was a fifth grader, my teacher actually said that Custer was a hero. I spoke up and said that Sitting Bull was the hero of the Little Big Horn because he was defending HIS land.

I was taken to the Principal's office where the Principal telephoned my mother and told her that the teacher thought I should be expelled for being "disrespectful" toward her. My mother defended my right to have my own opinion and I was allowed to return to class, albeit mortified.

When I went home that day I felt especially triumphant, only to be met with my mother's remonstrances:  "Why are you always getting into trouble?  What do you know from Indians?"  I wailed, "But you told them I was RIGHT!"  She answered, "Well, of course I would tell THEM that you are right!"

That's all you ever need to know about my mother!

History Teacher Denies Native American Genocide, Native Student Disagrees, Gets Expelled
A Native American student at Cal State Sacramento University was told by her history teacher that there was no genocide against the indigenous population of North...
COUNTERCURRENTNEWS.COM


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known the infamous Gladys!

ML