Background

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

SUE THE BARRACUDA

A friend called to ask if I would assist him with a problem and I said that I would but I asked why he'd thought to call me.  He told me that he'd first called our mutual friend John who'd told him, "You should call Sue The Barracuda;  she'd be a good one to help with that!"

I gasped and said, "SUE THE BARRACUDA!  Oh, no, that sounds too close to that wretched Palin creature!  Do you ALL call me that behind my back?"

He answered, "I haven't until now!"

I said to my husband, "I wonder WHAT else they call me!"

When I told my brother about "Sue The Barracuda", I learned that my nephew has been calling me "Hyacinth Bucket" behind my back for years!

For those who do not know the "Hyacinth Bucket" reference, it is from the BBC sitcom Keeping Up Appearances.  This is the description about the series from IMDB:

"Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet", if you please!) lives to impress and she has no patience for people who pretend to be superior because that makes it "so much harder for those of us who really are!" Assured of her own eminence, she spends her days trying to make sure everyone else is, too.  Her put-upon husband Richard and her down-market sisters Rose and Daisy are a challenge, but she's always willing to talk about her rich sister Violet but Violet's cross-dressing husband, not so much!"

I don't mind the "Sue The Barracuda" nickname as I think there is an implied compliment there, but please NOT "Hyacinth Bucket"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it shows your tenacity! ML