September 27 is National Crush A Can Day. The observance was created to educate people about the benefits of recycling.
Some interesting facts from Binge Magazine:
1. If you lined all the aluminum cans recycled in 2015 end-to-end, they would circle the earth 169 times.
2. In the USA, 105,800 aluminum cans are recycled each minute.
3. Your television could run 3 hours from the energy saved by recycling cans.
4. Aluminum cans generate about 1-cent per can.
5. The aluminum can industry pays more than 1 billion dollars annually for recycled cans.
For more information: http://www.cancentral.com.
We have a can-crusher setting in the kitchen: I toss the cans from the counter into the container but Gerald developed his own system which he uses in the garage:
He uses an 8-pound sledgehammer to crush them. WHAM! They are nice and flat!
The guy at the recycling center told Gerald that his were the best-looking cans they receive!