Background

Monday, September 12, 2016

TREASURE ISLAND TREASURE



Yesterday my friend Mona Lisa brought a present to me which she had found at a yard sale: it is a 1911 Charles Scribner's Sons first edition of Stevenson's Treasure Island with the famed illustrations by N. C. Wyeth.  It is in good condition but missing a dust cover.   Mona Lisa told me she had looked online and saw one in similar condition selling for $55.00.  A copy with dust cover is posted on E Bay for $150.00.

The illustrations are still amazingly vibrant.

What a TREASURE for me!

My brother Norman loved the art of Andrew Wyeth, and as he said, he became a fan of N. C. Wyeth and Jamie Wyeth "by osmosis".  I have quite a number of "coffee table" books featuring the work of all the Wyeth family and I also have a number of prints by Andrew and Jamie.  Several years ago, Norman asked, "How did Andy get relegated to the upstairs at your house?"  I replied, "ANDY?  I didn't know you were THAT close to Andrew."  He answered, "I even say BETS!"  (Betsy is Mrs. Andrew Wyeth)

Later, when I told Les about the conversation, he said,  "You  have to love someone who uses the word RELEGATED!"





No comments: