Background

Monday, September 25, 2017

999

When I "retired" in 2002, I lost nearly all of my company-sponsored life insurance.  I applied for life insurance and knew that it was a policy which would lapse in 15 years. I had no problem receiving it and did not require a physical.  When Gerald retired in 2004, he also lost nearly all of his life-insurance.  When he applied for life insurance, he was required to have a physical, but he was able to secure the insurance.

When I received the letter reminding me that I would lose the insurance in January, 2018, I immediately arranged for a consultation and learned that I would be required to have a physical and that there would be a price increase for coverage.   I was not concerned.  A phlebotomist/ nurse practitioner came to the house, took vials of blood, urine specimen, checked my blood pressure, performed an EKG, measurements, and other tests.

When I received a letter denying insurance with the reason given being:  the B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) test revealed a result of 999, while the acceptable level was 125, I was dumbfounded.  I had no idea WHAT the test was and after looking on the internet, I learned it was a test for congestive heart failure.  I was frantic;  my brother Ken had died with that and my brother Bode had died of a heart attack.  I thought, "Can this be true?  I've had blood work, EKGs, stress tests, and never had any evidence of heart problems."



With trepidation, I went to my doctor the next day and he told me that if that denial were correct, I would be dead, not sitting there in his office.  He ordered blood work. 

When I received the result of that lab work, I learned that my number was actually 71 rather than the 999 on the insurance company's lab work.

I immediately called the insurance company and I was transferred to an "underwriter" who said that they couldn't be expected to re-test every complaint and that I could have tests done at my own expense.  I screaked, "I already did that!"  He said I could file for a reconsideration.  I asked, "Are you going to fire that lab?"  

I completed a new application, including the results from the lab work, plus a letter from my doctor, along with a ferocious condemnation of their procedures.  I wrote:  "You have egregious flaws in your chain of custody, and whether it was with the home visit, the clinicians, or interpreters, you should initiate an investigation and take appropriate disciplinary action."

After two weeks, I received a letter granting my application.

How many people just accept "results" without complaining?

No comments: