Background

Thursday, September 7, 2017

THAT'S WHAT AMERICA LOOKS LIKE!

During our recent trip to Graceland, we decided that we also wanted to visit B.B. King's Blues Club on Beale Street in Memphis.  We stayed there five delightful hours, enjoying the music of two separate musical groups.  The first group featured "The King of Beale Street" Preston Shannon.  I enjoyed a meal of fried catfish, onion hush puppies, and okra. 

At a table next to us, the group was comprised of an Asian-descent woman, an Hispanic-descent man, a young African American woman, a middle-aged African American man, a young African American male, an elderly Caucasian man, and a middle-aged Caucasian male.  I was fascinated by the group, wondering if they were family or co-workers, but, of course I could not eavesdrop because of the noise level in the club.  I told Gerald, "That's what America looks like!"

When the waitress brought out a birthday cake to the group, people began singing, and we joined in;  I used the opportunity to engage in conversation with the woman nearest to me and inquire about the group.  I learned that they were celebrating a co-worker's birthday and that they were all employed by ABM Air and they were from different parts of the country and all were in Memphis for a conference.



No comments: