Background

Sunday, September 2, 2018

E-V-O-O


Because of Rachael Ray, we say "E-V-O-O" to indicate extra virgin olive oil.  Rachael seems to use E-V-O-O for cooking as well as salads. I had read years ago NOT to use extra virgin olive oil for cooking as heat turns it bitter. 
E-V-O-O is olive oil of the highest quality and is produced by cold-pressing the olives in a chemical-free process.

As we use a large amount of olive oil, I want to use the best olive oil. I have done a great deal of reading about olive oil. I even checked Consumer's Report to learn the best brand. It is stupefying to see the difference in prices of different brands of EVOO. Usually I buy Pompeian or Bertolli (they are ranked #1 and #6 in the article).

I use the E-V-O-O for salads and I began blending dipping oils as I had seen in Italian restaurants. I use a cruet and put in the fresh sprigs of my favorite herbs to make the dipping oils. This is called "infusing". [I learned how to infuse oils with THE GOURMET FARM GIRL'S blog.]

Last year, as a hostess gift, a friend gave me a beautiful decanter filled with herb-filled dipping oil. Unfortunately, a guest dropped the decanter, breaking it, and I still have olive oil splatter on the dining room wall. I've been hinting for another decanter.


No comments: