Background

Saturday, September 29, 2018

THYROID CANCER


The fastest growing cancer in women which is thyroid cancer.  As there have been thyroid abnormalities within my family (goiter, etc.), I am very interested. 

The increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms.  On the apron dentists put on patients for dental x-rays, there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around the patient's neck.  Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms. 

When I had my yearly mammogram, I felt a little silly, but I asked about the thyroid  guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know; you have to ask for it."

We need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers, and to all of our female friends and husbands.

No comments: