Background

Saturday, September 1, 2018

SUNNY


Yesterday, my friend Judy and I went to Columbus to pick up yard signs at the site of our political candidates.  When we introduced ourselves, a young woman stood up to assist us.  When I asked her name, she said "Sunny" and as, is my wont, I began singing Bobby Hebb's version of Sunny.  

The woman seemed pleased and said nobody had ever done that before.  Judy said that I do it all the time and when I asked a young man at the next desk his name, it was Ben;  naturally, I sang Michael Jackson's Ben, although I quipped, "Too bad that one is about a rat!"  Turning around to another desk, Judy inquired the name of the woman sitting there and when she said Carrie, I, of course launched into The Hollies version of Carrie Anne.  She responded, "It's really Carolyn." and I said, "Well, the closest I can get is Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline."  I told them that I  had embarrassed girls named Laura, Cecilia, Angie, Gloria, Sherry, Mandy, and Mona Lisa.  I can only sing "snatches" of the songs but my husband could sing the entire score of Brandy to girls with that name.

At home, I told my all-knowing brother about the conversation and he said, "How about Merle Haggard's Carolyn?"


No comments: