Background

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

STAMPED FOREVER


I love stamps, but I am NOT a stamp collector, although I do like the word philatelist!   With online bill payment, we don't use many stamps until I am ready to mail Christmas cards but during the rest of the year, I like to use stamps which are meaningful to me or others. Over the years I have amassed a large amount of usable stamps with different denominations. 

Recently, wanting to have a political mailing economically, I decided to use all those old stamps.  Enlisting the help of my friend Char, she asked, "How long have you planned this project?"  I held up a 15-cent stamp and said, "A LONG time!"

She said, "Thank goodness for Forever stamps!"  I had to take some stamps to the post office to determine the value.  Using 1-cent, 2-cent, 5-cent, and 10-cent stamps, Char and I pieced together more than enough for 500 envelopes which saved the Party $250.00.


I like to use stamps which are relevant to the person to whom I'm sending. When the John Wayne stamps were issued, I bought a sheet for my brother, a John Wayne fan. The mother of one of my sisters-in-law was thrilled because I sent her a note and used a Cary Grant stamp, her favorite actor. I gave her the remainder from the sheet.  My friend Mona Lisa always notices the stamps and comments about the significance. Whether it's a yellow rose, favorite actor, historical figure, and yes, even sports, she notices.

One person asked me, "Did you know that the person on the stamp was a favorite of mine?" Well, DUH!

When the Elvis stamps were issued, of course, I bought several sheets and I have used them sparingly over the years JUST to send to fellow Elvis fans on special Elvis occasions. Last year an Elvis Forever stamp became available and I purchased several sheets.



I bought a sheet of Mark Twain stamps because I adore Mark Twain and I sent half the sheet to a Facebook friend (whom I have never met) from St. Joseph, MO, because he quotes Twain.

An older friend loved Roy Rogers; I sent him all of the Roy Rogers stamps from the "Western Heroes" sheet and I put a Gene Autry stamp on the envelope. Inside I wrote:

"Knock knock.
Who's there?
Kilroy.
Kilroy who?
KILL Roy rogers, I'm a Gene Autry fan!"

After that, when we would be together at gatherings, he would joyfully tell about my sending the stamps and the awful "Knock Knock" joke. Gerald said, "I can't believe how much that meant to him!"

Imagine my excitement when the Audrey Hepburn stamps were issued! 


Gerald bought Katherine Hepburn stamps by mistake; I cannot tolerate her. Obviously I still had 20 of those.


It was a hoot when I saw Char pick up a 32-cent stamp and say, "Let's see, I need one 10-cent stamp, one 5-cent, one 2-cent, and one 1-cent."  I asked,  "Is there enough room on the envelope?"

No comments: