Background

Friday, September 28, 2018

IMMANENT?



The word for today is IMMANENT (see below). Of course I know imminent and eminent; why didn't I know immanent? Whenever I learn that a word is derived from Latin and I do not know it, I become upset with myself, because I used to be very good with Latin derivatives!

When my teacher of Latin died, I used a quote in Latin from Cicero on the sympathy card with the flowers I sent. Her daughter told me how much she appreciated it and she was sure that her mother would have appreciated it.

She and I laughed because I told her that for Third Year Latin, I asked her mother if I could translate OVID and I was given an emphatic "NO!"; instead I translated Virgil! The following year I asked once again to translate Ovid but was assigned Cicero.

From MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO: "Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenuum et artem saepe vinat." ("Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdoes both intelligence and skill.")

Sometimes it paid to be a GRIND!


WORD FOR THE DAY

immanent 
PRONUNCIATION:
(IM-uh-nuhnt)

MEANING:
adjective:
1. Inherent; spread throughout.
2. Subjective: taking place within the mind and having no effect outside of it.

No comments: