Background

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

KANDY


My dear friend's daughter died today.

How can I comfort my friend? I don't know how.
Where are all my words to ease her pain? I don't have them.
Where are my verbal bandages I need to dress this gaping wound which will never heal? I don't have them.

People tell me that I am the strongest person they know but where is my strength when she needs me? I am weak.

I will go to see her and I will be there for her during this horrible week of planning, deciding and completing the tasks associated with loss. And when I ask, "What can I do?", she will know it is not perfunctory and she will give me tasks to perform because she knows that's what I need--to be doing something! I will prepare food, choose flowers, visit the funeral home, go to the funeral; all of those duties of friendship. She knows that I will continue to be there for her in the days, weeks, months and years to follow.

She has always been there for me.

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

You are always there for everybody!