Background

Friday, December 14, 2012

MY MOTHER'S BUBBLE LIGHTS



My family's bubble lights are my favorite Christmas decoration. I had always thought that they were in the family from before my birth because they are part of my earliest memories. However, I recently researched bubble lights to find replacements for ones which have quit working and I learned that Noma (our brand) only began producing bubble lights in 1946. My father must have bought them around that time. My earliest memory is the birth of my brother Duke in 1947 and when I asked both of my older brothers about the lights, they also recall the bubble lights as among their earliest memories.

The bubble lights were always on the tree at home, but it was always difficult to have them arranged so they would "bubble" successfully. Gerald's solution was to stand them upright along the stairway and cover his elaborate mounting process with garland. It makes a beautiful display and warms my heart.

They remind me of Hanukkuh candles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened to see your blog while searching for NOMA Christmas lights. I love your post about the bubble lights. Ebay has original NOMA bubble lights. Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks for sharing your memories of bubble lights.