Background

Saturday, December 29, 2012

A LESSON TOO LATE FOR THE LEARNING

I was watching a recording of Brian Williams' 30 Rock and he told that a simple "tweet" on Ann Curry's "twitter account" had gone "viral". I thought, "Last year, I would have fast-forwarded through this segment, but since I like Ann Curry, I'll listen." Ann Curry told that she "tweeted" telling that she was going to perform 26 Acts Of Kindness to honor the victims of Sandy Hook and that the response had been phenomenal. I told Les, "That's something I would like to do."

In fact, after hearing the story, I HAVE done several acts, but one must never become "too full of oneself", to wit:

A friend called to ask if I knew of any way to help her neighbor who had had her water shut off. I asked what steps the neighbor had taken and she said she'd called Community Action and was told they had no funding. I asked when the water had been turned off and she said three days before. I was exasperated and said, "So, she waits until the afternoon of the 21st to try to get some help?" Irate, I continued, "It's Christmas weekend; she's had to have known for TWO months; why didn't she do something in those two months?" I said that I would see what I could do, but as I hung up, I knew that I was not going to do anything!

I started grousing about being bothered with this and I said to Les, "How the Hell am I supposed to get anything done? It's the Christmas weekend, for crying out loud!" I continued complaining.

Les asked, drily, "So how's that 26 Acts Of Kindness going for you?"

He started singing an old Tom Paxton song A Lesson Too Late For The Learning. He is always my conscience!

I recalled that at my Continuum Of Care meeting that week, that a participant had said that the Ministerial Association sometimes helped with utilities for needy people. I called him and he said he would take the information but doubted that he could get anything done before Christmas.

With a little humility, I called back to the friend and relayed the information and said to let me know if it didn't work out for her neighbor.

The Ministerial Association Representative called back and told me that they were able to get to the Water Department before closing time!

Less grousing, more kindness, Sue! So, the lesson is NOT too late for the learning.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've done ONE--leaving comments on your BLOG! ML