Background

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

STRAW MAN


I was taking my usual short-cut -- the alley beside the South Side Church of Christ -- because I always like to look at the live-animal manger scene there.

Half-way down the alley, I saw a young male carrying two large, white bags and I thought he'd probably been to the convenience store across the street. I stopped the car and asked, "Do you want a ride?" He agreed and when he got in the car I said, "It's so cold out there!" I told him to put the bags in the back seat. I saw that there was straw in the bags and I immediately realized that he had TAKEN the straw from the manger scene. I asked where he was going and he said, "Hickory Street." I said, "That's not very far." When I turned onto Hickory Street he said, "It's the last house -- it's where there's a big Santa."

I said, "I don't see a big Santa," but the boy said, "It's the last house." I said, "Oh, your dog's outside." He said, "I brought him inside for a little while last night but my mom won't let him stay inside; that's why I needed the straw." I thought, "The dog probably needs the straw as much as the animals at the manger."

I noticed that the inflatable Santa was on the ground -- deflated -- and I suddenly felt DEFLATED.

When I got home, I told Les about the incident and he said, "I'll bet the Baby Jesus didn't mind."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Forgiveness comes so hard sometimes. You know?

Unknown said...

That is the Christmas spirit!