Background

Sunday, December 2, 2012

YOU HAD TO BE THERE

Les and I were watching Jeopardy! and the Final Jeopardy category was "Religious Symbols". The clue was: "The rooster atop many church weathervanes is there to remind us of a story involving this apostle?"

I said, confidently, "It's Saint Peter." Waiting for the music to stop, I continued, "The cock will crow three times....." My voice trailed off as the first contestant's question revealed, "Paul." I said, "No, Paul wasn't an Apostle--it's Peter, dummy--Paul was on the road to Damascus!" [It is NOT unusual that I'm known to talk to the television!]

Les said, drily, "Maybe it's John, but Paul was the cute one!" I did a spit-take when I realized that he was referring to the controversy when John Lennon said that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and in describing the Beatles, McCartney was usually labeled the "cute" one!

The second contestant answered correctly with "Peter", but the third answered incorrectly "Paul".

Les said, "Paul is still the cutest!"

In retelling this to friends today, I received a blank stares as they obviously did not grasp why I thought it was funny. If one must explain, then it is lost!

I guess you had to be there!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the rooster being in your religious section of charms! ML