Background

Saturday, September 1, 2012

EVOO


Because of Rachael Ray, we now say "EVOO" for extra virgin olive oil. The few times that I have watched her, she seems to use EVOO for cooking as well as salads. I had read years ago NOT to use EVOO for cooking as heat turns it bitter. EVOO is olive oil of the highest quality and is produced by cold-pressing the olives in a chemical-free process.

As we use a large amount of olive oil, I want to use the best olive oil. I have done a great deal of reading about olive oil. I even checked Consumer's Report to learn the best brand. It is stupefying to see the difference in prices of different brands of EVOO. Usually I buy Pompeian or Bertolli (they are ranked #1 and #6 in the accompanying article).

I use the EVOO for salads and I began blending dipping oils as I had seen in Italian restaurants. I use a cruet and put in the fresh sprigs of my favorite herbs to make the dipping oils. This is called "infusing". [Learn how to infuse oils with THE GOURMET FARM GIRL'S blog.]

Last year, as a hostess gift, a friend gave me a beautiful decanter filled with herb-filled dipping oil. Unfortunately, a guest dropped the decanter, breaking it, and I still have olive oil splatter on the dining room wall! I've been hinting for another decanter!

CLICK HERE to read the article entitled The Best Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

CLICK HERE to read the article entitled Instructions for Infusing Olive Oil in The Gourmet Farm Girl.

No comments: