Background

Thursday, September 27, 2012

THE GRIPPE


Yesterday an older friend called and left a message; in the message he said that to he couldn't come to a meeting because he thought he had "the grippe". I hadn't heard that term for at least 50 years! Les said, "Let's look it up!"
[grippe: an acute febrile contagious birus disease: influenza]

I laughed and said that it would definitely NOT be in my vocabulary. Les said, "You better write another article about words which make you sound old!" I've written several articles about those kind of words (see attached "DAVENPORT")CLICK HERE

Among the other words:

DAVENPORT
OLEO
REC ROOM
CHARLEY HORSE
RUMPUS ROOM
RECKON (as in "I reckon"))
PIKE (rather than route)
VEER a friend's daughter says that only old people use the word)

No comments: