Background

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

BISTRO/TRATTORIA

A friend posted on her BLOG about a new, local restaurant being built and she wrote that it was a "bistro" which would be serving Italian food. A person commented on her BLOG that "bistro" is French.

I stated that it should be called a TRATTORIA, which I believe is the Italian equivalent of the French BISTRO. Both are small restaurants which serve simple foods. I told my friend that the owner of the new restaurant was probably just ignorant about the difference between a bistro and a trattoria and he probably thought "bistro" sounded cosmopolitan.

It reminded me of the another local restaurant having "Cuisine" in its name. I wrote earlier that my brother dared me to go into the restaurant and ask for "AL-BEAR" since it's "Albert's Cuisine"!

I think the proprietors must want to "Frenchify" their names to seem more cultured and do not realize that it's merely pretentious. I rather like the Hillsboro restaurant with just the sign "EAT"!

This tops all of these: I shall never forget seeing a "Dairy Queen BRASSERIE". I actually went into the place and asked the Manager if he knew what a "brasserie" is and he did not!

That was a problem of "delusions of grandeur"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about a salon called "Panache"? I remember your article about places with confusing names. ML