Background

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

CROTCHETY

I received numerous replies to the article "A WEDDING INVITATION IS NOT AN INVOICE"; one person suggested that I should make the topic a continuing article as I do with "CRINGE".

Les says I am getting "crotchety" with my whining and peevishness; thus, CROTCHETY will be the vehicle for my crankiness.

For example, I am querulous when another person is "on top" of me at a checkout. I don't want them to see my entering my PIN , writing a check, or using a credit card. I seldom use an ATM, but when I do, I don't want anyone close to me.

I respect the spaces of other people; why can't they respect mine?

In stores, when I am finished loading my items on the conveyor belt, I deliberately leave the cart behind me instead of pulling it forward. I do leave enough room for people to put some of their groceries on the conveyor, but I don't want them in my space!

It offends me when I see able-bodied people who continue sitting down when elderly or disabled people, or pregnant women, are waiting in line.

Recently we were at an Olive Garden and there was a large number of people waiting to be seated. I was fortunate to have a seat while waiting. A very-pregnant woman came in and her husband went to register and receive one of the pagers. Among the people sitting and waiting were several young people. I said to one young male who was sitting beside me, "Get up and let her sit down." He didn't budge, so I rose and gave her my seat. She said, "No, that's OK, I'm OK." I said, "No, it isn't OK!" I went and stood next to Gerald. An elderly couple came in and the man was using a cane. I stood in front of the same young male I had spoken to earlier, and I asked, in a low voice, "Excuse me, but do you see that man with a cane who is old enough to be your grandfather?" He nodded, and I said, "Younger people such as you and I should offer one's seat to an older or disabled or pregnant person." [I thought that including myself as "younger" was rather amusing, yet effective.] He got up as did the young woman with him. I went to the elderly couple and said, "There's a place for you!"

I realize that the people must have had "no raisins", but what happened to common decency?

7 comments:

Arminta said...

There are just a couple of things on which I need to comment because I am also crotechty.

First, in makes me 'cringe' when I hear people use terms like PIN number (as you did above) because they are saying "Personal Identification Number number". At least you didn't say "Automated Teller Machine machine".

Also, how did you know that young man you felt you had the right to boss around in Olive Garden didn't have a heart condition or was recovering from knee surgery or some other medical thing? Perhaps he was just exceptionally tired because he has low blood sugar.or high blood sugar....you never know.

I'm just mentioning this because my son pointed out to me once how many adults feel like it's acceptable to be rude to younger people. I've been paying attention to that for a while now and find it to be true.

Arminta said...

Crotchety....one-finger.phone typing

Sue's News said...

Arminta, I shan't use PIN incorrectly and shall correct the BLOG!

However, I disagree about being rude to young people--I've been paying attention to them for a LONG time--they haven't lived long enough to have experienced the breadth of rudeness that old people such as myself have endured from their behavior--yes, a generalization! I am a very observant person and if he'd had a heart condition he would have been lugging around oxygen; a knee issue; he'd wearing shorts and knee brace; if blind, a white-tipped cane; if asthmatic; he'd been dosing himself (all of which I've observed with "young" people) or narcissistic--oh, I DID notice THAT affliction--that's why I accosted him!

Sue's News said...

From LES: VIN number!

Sue's News said...

CORRECTION to my text: "he would have been wearing shorts...."

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Sue made an error! ML

Gail said...

Not really...even the banks call it a PIN number on the paperwork they send you with a new debit card.