Background

Saturday, May 6, 2017

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE

In discussing passive aggressive behavior earlier this week, I was reminded of an article I published in Sue's News in 2013:

                                    SHERBET 


Yesterday, at a carry-in family party, I was making punch.  My husband's sister-in-law asked, "What all do you put in there?"  I began to list the ingredients and when I said "sherbet", she then asked:  "What kind of SHERBERT?"

I thought, "Oh, my God, did she just do what I think she did--pronounce it as 'sherbert'--to try to correct my pronunciation of sherbet?"  I've noticed that it is a common mispronunciation here in Fayette County, but in the interest of family harmony, I decided not to pursue the subject although I dislike that obvious passive-aggressive behavior.

However, for no discernible reason other than to "rub it in", she said "sherbert" again, asking, "How many SHERBERTS do you use?"

I pointed to a container and said quietly, "It's sherbet;  there's only one R in sherbet."  She said she'd never heard it pronounced THAT way.  

She had brought a variety of sandwiches which she had labeled.  I debated whether to tell her that she had "pimento" spelled as "pimentoe" but I said, "Hey, Dan Quayle, you have pimento misspelled!"  She didn't "get" the Dan Quayle reference but her daughter did, and laughed appreciatively.

She was cold toward me for the remainder of the day.






No comments: