Background

Monday, October 23, 2017

INDIGNATION

The Annual Fall Dinner of our local Democratic Party will be held October 24, 2017.  

In making contact with fellow Democrats it was quite interesting at the reaction of some people when they learned that Jerry Springer would be the keynote speaker.  

One very indignant woman said, "I gave $50.00 to the Party and I don't want one cent of my money to go to Jerry Springer!"  I answered, "You can rest assured;  Jerry Springer isn't charging."  She was taken aback and said, "What?  I don't believe that!"  I said, "It's true;  besides, we couldn't afford him."

When I told her that I had voted for him when he ran for governor in the 1970s she said she couldn't believe that I would support "a person like that";  I answered that I wasn't supporting him now because he hadn't even announced if he were running and that I had met Springer recently in Chillicothe and he was a very effective speaker.

She mentioned his "awful" television show and I said that I had never watched it.  When she admitted that she had never actually seen the show, I said,  "If I were you, I wouldn't judge him by something that I'd only heard about him."  

Of course she was irritated by my lecturing her like that.   I told her that I would be glad to refund her $50.00 and she could see the financial statement of the party for proof that Springer would be unpaid.  I said, "He doesn't want any money from us;  we're poor!"

We have sold more tickets for this dinner than for any other event we've had.

No comments: