Background

Saturday, September 18, 2010

I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO A CLUB THAT WOULD HAVE ME AS A MEMBER


My brother Norman loves the Groucho Marx quote, "I don't want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member." There are two different versions of the origin of the quip. One version has Groucho telegraphing the Friars' Club that message; the other version tells about when Groucho's daughter went with a friend to a Hollywood country club; Groucho's daughter was informed that she was not allowed to be there as it was "restricted"; she could not be there because her father was Jewish. That was when Groucho uttered his famous quote. He and other Jews formed their own country club.

Some of my favorite Groucho quotes:

"Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?"

"I've had a perfectly lovely evening and this wasn't it."

"All people are born alike--except Republicans and Democrats."

"Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy."

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing; if you can fake that, you've got it made!"

"These are my principles and if you don't like them, well, I have others."

1 comment:

skymetalsmith said...

I always thought that quote was Mark Twain!