Background

Thursday, July 14, 2011

"DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY!"


Yesterday, a friend and I had had lunch at a local eatery "Our Place Restaurant". [I always make sure to say or write "Our Place Restaurant" after an incident when I'd told someone to meet at "OUR PLACE" and they thought I meant "our house".] At the cashier's there are always business cards strewn on the desk and I always look at them. I picked up one card and the headline was "Emerging Ohio Author"; of course I was immediately fascinated; however, the second line on the card left me dismayed.

"Mystery/suspence novelist"

Heading out the door I told my friend, "She has her e-mail address on the card; I'm sure that a writer would want to know about an error on her business card."

Below is a history of the e-mail correspondence between the "Emerging Ohio Author" and me. My observation is that she does not pay close attention to detail. My brother remarked, "You should say, "Don't call me Shirley!" like Leslie Nielsen!"




1) Subject: YOUR BUSINESS CARD


Dear Saundra,

I picked up your business card at Our Place Restaurant in Washington Court House, OH.

As an emerging Ohio author, mystery/suspense novelist and Southern Ohio fiction writer, I am sure that you would want to have "suspense" spelled suspense and not "suspence" on your next order of business cards.

Sincerely,

Sue Shirkey-Raypole

2) Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:50:41

Yes, Shirley thank you. I have new cards ordered now. Have you read any of my books? I believe the library in Washington CH has some.

Saundra

3) Subject: RE: YOUR BUSINESS CARD

My name is Sue.

I'll check with the library to see if your books are there.

Sue

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

This is too funny! Only YOU would e-mail this stranger to correct her!