Background

Monday, February 6, 2012

GOING POSTAL


When I went to the post office to get the 420 1-cent stamps, there were two clerks working. The clerk Susie was busy helping a couple complete applications for passports. There were three people ahead of me in the line of the other clerk named Debbie. Debbie was telling the first customer about her divorce and about her son's living arrangements. I was shocked by such inappropriate behavior. The second customer, turned to look behind him, and he and I rolled our eyes at each other in disbelief. When the man got to Debbie he asked for two stamps and plopped coins on the desk. The next person in line was a young woman carrying a baby. Debbie commented that the baby was "precious" and the clerk and the woman began chatting about different family members.

I began tapping my car keys on the table and I looked around and five people were lined up behind me.

When it was my turn I said that I wanted 420 1-cent stamps and Debbie asked, "Are you sure?" I answered, with seething rage, "I'm QUITE sure!" Debbie continued, "Well, a lotta people are confused by the Forever Stamps." I answered, "I have NO confusion; I NEED 420 1-cent stamps." She looked in her drawer and said, "I don't have that many." I said, through clenched teeth, "Perhaps you could ask Susie if she has any." Debbie returned with a stack of stamps and counted them into one pile. I said, "You didn't count right; SHALL I show you HOW to count them?" I took the stamps and counted 5 each into 4 piles and I said, "There's 400; I need 20 more." I counted out 20 pennies and gave her four 1-dollar bills.

Her behavior was unprofessional and unacceptable, mainly because she was inefficient! There's a time and place for lively banter but NOT when there are eight people waiting in line.

At home I was fuming about whether I was going to call the Postmaster or write a complaint letter, and Les said, "You're lucky she didn't go POSTAL on you!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should've started yelling HELP right there in the post office.

ML