Background

Saturday, February 25, 2012

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE


Each time I see someone wearing apparel which shows their being a veteran, I walk over and extend my hand and say, "Thank you for your service." It is a little thing to do to receive great rewards. The reactions range from surprise, amazement, and joy.

I was at Frisch's with a friend and a couple walked in and I saw "World War II Vet" on his cap. I got up and went to their table and the wife had already gone to the salad bar. I extended my hand and he offered his left hand because his right hand was deformed. I thanked him for his service and he told me how much he appreciated it.

When his wife returned I heard her ask, "What was that all about?" and the veteran replied, "She thanked me for my service."

As they were leaving the veteran waved to me and as he went to pay the bill, his wife stopped by the table and said, "Thank you, that meant so much to him; he started to cry."

Whenever I see a veteran, I think of John Prine's masterpiece song, "Say Hello In There":

So, if you're walking down the street sometime
And you spot some hollow, ancient eyes,
Please don't pass them by and stare
As if you didn't care,
Say "Hello in there, hello."
Say hello in there--HELLO!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love John Prine!